Tuesday, February 9, 2010

blogs and dogs and roosters too

Eleven-thirty pm local time (never mind what the 'blog posted at xxx' says. I still haven't figured out how to correct that four hour discrepancy) but it feels like much, much later. It has been a very full day, following on the heels of an interesting night.

After I made my way back to my 'Wi-Fi'less room last night I pretended to read for about ten minutes before I gave up that charade and switched off the bedside light.

There are, according to the most recent census, a million and twelve dogs in Suchitoto. Whether they're strays, I can't say, but most of them look underfed and a bit fearful. Not the kind that encourages a spontaneous scratch behind the ears. In any case, they all try to get the last word in, starting around ten o'clock at night. Canine Facebook. The barking went on non-stop for hours. Either their network went down or exhaustion finally overcame me, but at some point in the hot, still night I drifted off to the Land of Nod. But not for long.

I am not that familiar with the job description of your average rooster. Common knowledge holds that their morning summons to rise and shine coincides more or less with the sun's first peak over the eastern horizon. Not in Suchitoto. The locals here get to work around three am, and they don't quit until the sun is well up in the sky. Overachievers, to say the least. They were in fact so loud that I was convinced that several had somehow made their way into my room. A careful morning inspection of my locked door and still-intact screen proved that theory false.

But these are trifling complaints. I absolutely love it here. The air is soft and fragrant. There is a spectacular view of Lago Suchitlan from the terrace here at El Tejado. That's where I am right now, the only creature stirring, tap tapping on my keyboard. The pool is a sparkling blue jewel surrounded by palm and mango trees. I already mentioned the warmth of the folks in town - we are always greeted with a kind smile and a 'buenos' by every single person we encounter. Those who are married are equally friendly. The food is delicious, the beer is cheap, the relaxed pace of life addictive.

But the real joy of being here is in the team. Frank and Eric have been incredible, not just for enduring my snoring and pushiness, but in their continued enthusiasm and dedication to the project. Our Technical Director, Tito, is a laid-back, easy- going guy with a quick and gentle sense of humour. He picked us up at the airport in San Salvador and helped us load our heavy bags into his little truck and I liked him immediately. Tatiana joined us for breakfast this morning and I finally got to meet the person Frank had been raving about for months. She is the heart and soul of this project and I feel honoured to be associated with her.

After breakfast we drove over to the near-by site of the convent (it's referred to as something else here, but I'm not about to wake up Frank to ask him the name) and met Sister Peggy. Even with the bat poop-splattered walls (or maybe because of them) the chapel is breathtaking. Vibrant accoustics. Immense potential. If everything works out it will be a wonderful place for the launch. We discussed various options, took some measurements of the room and then headed off to the trade school, which is about five kilometres from where we're staying.

Conditions at the school were not as bad as I expected. Things are a bit messy but there is a lot of equipment and a very positive attitude. We met with about ten of the students, watched them at various tasks. They will alternate between what they are doing now - some metal fabrication and carpentry work - and the building of the modular stage with us. All of us, the young and the not so young, then gathered in an outdoor covered area where we outlined our objectives and answered questions. Tatiana translated beautifully. A nice al fresco lunch was followed by another look around the facility. We then established a priority list of our immediate goals and agreed to show up the next day wearing steel toed boots. The question of shorts or longs has not been resolved, but given the heat, I think I'll probably bare my knees.

The final stop was at the headquarters of Es Artes. It's a gem in the rough, possibly with more potential than the convent. There is a cobblestoned (Tito refers to them as tumblestones) courtyard with a huge tree off to one side that is just begging for a performance / rehearsal stage. Maybe someday. In the offices there we finalized the plywood order, discussed a few more details and were then sent off to enjoy the rest of the day relaxing by the pool. Which is exactly what we did.

My writing tonight has been even slower than usual. Glacial. Knowing the roosters are probably pacing back and forth already, warming up their vocal chords, itching to get busy, I'm going to hit the hay.

Before I sign off I would like to say that I am currently unable to send emails. I receive them alright but the few that I've sent have come right back as undeliverable. Until I solve that riddle this blog will be my sole voice to the outside world. Not very personal, but rest assured that I am doing just fine.
Other than the roosters and mad dogs, this is paradise.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for taking the time to keep up the blog. I enjoy your humour and information. I'll see what I can do to get a few roosters to welcome you back to Hayesville.
    BBQ or roasted? Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that tongue-in-cheek humour, Ted. Catching up on your postings and have a ways to go.

    ReplyDelete