Friday, February 5, 2010

Day Two

A mini-blog is all I dare attempt tonight. As the departure date looms ominously closer, my heart rate increases and my to-do list seems to lengthen. Is it too late to convert to Buddism?

The morning was spent sifting through emails, making a few phone calls and, I have to admit, sneaking an egotistical peak at the blog site to see if any new followers had signed in. Then a mad dash into Stratford. The new work boots I bought last night (guaranteed to be bat and cockroach resistant) needed a bit of stretching so I dropped them off at the cobbler on Wellington Street. Amazing to be able to find one still alive. Then I hurried over to the Festival where I was met by Robbin - bearing great news, I might add! Sorry, can't say any more. We sorted out a few details and said farewell for the nineteenth time.

Then I headed to the basement of the Festival and threw myself upon the mercy of the heroes in IT. Not 'it', like the 'it girl' from the forties, but IT as in 'information technology'. Paul and Mike and, most especially, Andre helped get my new-to-me lap top figured out and bagged up. Heading off to Suchitoto with this marvellous little Toshiba under my arm and optimistic hopes of regularly sending back letters and postings brings to mind the image of an old man who has just learned to swim in the shallow end of the pool. With plastic water wings. Trembling chin thrust forward, he dips his bony feet in the Atlantic and strikes out for the other side. That's me. A wing and a prayer.

A few more cheerful good byes and best wishes from various friends in the theatre and then I made for my truck parked near the Discovery Centre. The lovely Laura Burton was parking her car in the space behind. I certainly wanted to bid her adieu so I leaned in through her open side window to give her a hug and a quick kiss. The power window suddenly started closing, almost trapping my outstretched hands and the end of my nose. Is this a side to her that no one has ever witnessed? Laughing her inimitable laugh, she claimed to have hit the wrong switch, but I wonder...

The afternoon found me in Kitchener buying a couple of pairs of cotton pants. Bare legs are apparently frowned upon in El Salvador. Especially mine. (An email from Tito in Suchitoto was waiting in my inbox when I got home. 'Bring shorts', he said. 'It's hot hot hot!') Some sunglasses. And two buckets of screws for the project. Like missionaries of old, we set sail for foreign lands to spread the gospel of Robertson.

It's the first Friday of the month. Storytelling in the Barn is about to begin at any minute. I need to get away from the Project for a couple of hours.

Guess this wasn't as mini as I predicted.

No comments:

Post a Comment