Monday, February 15, 2010

Old Job, New Family

Fewer helpers were available today, but at least the temperature was up. I don't bother to ask any more what the actual number is because, as the locals have figured out, there's nothing you can do about it anyway.

Breakfast on the terrace. Truck ride to the school, me riding shotgun in the back. Tito had to slow to let the oncoming garbage truck squeeze past on the narrow street and I could have reached out and petted the horse tied to the lamp post right at that spot. He has a brightly coloured piece of fabric tied to his halter (the horse, not Tito) and I see him every morning in the same place. I think I'll name him 'Job'. After the dude in the old testament. I don't often use that word, but I thought it might, like, make me sound younger.

We actually did end up creating quite a pile of sawdust today, despite the heat. We don't really have a schedule, but if we did, we'd be ahead of it. We have most of the risers for the stage built and will probably finish the last of them by Thursday. Then it's just a matter of ripping the nosing - I threw that in just to befuddle the non-carpenter followers - filling the holes and painting or staining the plywood. Sorry Ed, you'll have no excuses.

Eric has begun making spears with bamboo, cardboard and muffler tape. He came back from the market this morning before breakfast with a bag full of palm leaf brooms which will be transformed into a wild boar on a stick.

Outside a tiny cafe facing the town square we enjoyed an evening meal that felt like a family reunion: Tatiana, her son and mother from San Salvador; her sister and her sister's partner from Oxford, England; Miquel and Maria and their son from around the corner. Even Tito and a friend showed up. Hellos and goodbyes always involve handshakes and hugs all 'round. This is not the place for a germaphobe. One of the young women we met at the CUSO-VSO prep course in Ottawa a million years ago - OK, it was January 28th of this year - was originally from Central America. I can still hear her parting words: 'The people there are going to want to hug you . Don't be afraid'.

Have I mentioned before that I love it here?

2 comments:

  1. Anyone who lives with a home-improvement partner knows what nosing is. :)

    ReplyDelete