Sunday, February 21, 2010

Next Trip I Bring My Own Detergent

I arose quite early this morning to the first overcast day we've experienced in Suchitoto in two weeks. Still very warm, but no sun in sight. After showering, I gathered my dirty laundry and folded it into the same small plastic bag that the hotel staff had provided me last week.

My computer and drafting paper in one hand, the laundry bag in the other, I crossed the lawn to the front desk and asked the young lady on duty to please have the contents washed. She looked kind of alarmed, thinking I wanted it done right away. "No, no", I said. (Thank God Spanish and English share a couple of words.) "Manana", I assured her. Relieved, she carried the bag over to the adjacent counter where some of the other girls were working in the open kitchen. As I fired up my lap top, I looked across the deserted dining area and watched in amazement as girl #1 untied the knotted bag, sniffed the contents, and then passed the open bag over to girl #2. Who also stuck her nose almost in the bag and inhaled. They exchanged frowns and a few words and then laughed self-consciously when they noticed me observing them. I had folded the t-shirts to compact them somewhat (the bag is not large), so maybe there was some question about dirty/clean, but still...The next time I venture this far south of the border I'm definitely coming armed with more Espaniol.

After checking email, I spread out some paper and sketched a design for something Tatiana had spoken to us about. A lightweight, collapsible and portable booth for selling tickets, handing out brochures or promoting Es Artes events. Frank showed up on the terrace and we ate breakfast and then discussed and refined the design.

The next two hours were an exercise in frustration. In order to prevent offending anyone, I am not going to elaborate. I'll just say that Frank and I had a small plan that would speed up the completion of the stage and allow us the time to move on to the construction of the booth and some masking flats that we just found out about yesterday. Our plan didn't quite work out. In hindsight, I realize that my North American expectations overshadowed my patience. In the end, what happened or didn't happen was of no great consequence. The sun came out. We had a good day of R and R. As I keep reminding myself, the process is much more important than the product.

1 comment:

  1. Your entries are fantastic. I hope that you plan to print them all up and make them available for people who missed the blog. Thank you for taking the time to offer them up to us.

    ReplyDelete